22 August 2006

(sometimes i'm so happy i feel i can't speak sensibly. one of those moments was earlier this afternoon. my paperwork officially went through; i copied my syllabus; i copied roland barthes's "photography & electoral appeal" for my first class. there was a bounce in my stride & a strong temptation to skip. i got in the car & my ipod, bless his empathic electric heart, offered me up the following : herman's hermits, "i'm into something good" (see earl-jean's version for a wonderful alternative, a production that would be right at home next to "i love how you love me") ; david bowie, "starman"; johnny nash, "i can see clearly now"; the charlatans uk, "the only one i know"; saint etienne, "he's on the phone." & so you see i didn't have to speak--i could sing. the song that best sums up how i feel now is peter bjorn and john's "objects of my affection" (listen) (buy) : and the question is: was i more alive then than i am now? i happily have to disagree. i laugh more often now, i cry more often now, i am more me. of course, that's just part of it, & written it doesn't seem like much--perhaps that's the peril of trying to speak sensibly at such times. but, of course, it's a song & the music sings far more forcibly & expressively.

to think, there are people out there to whom music means nothing or v. little. hm!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(i really like appendices)

(/jonas)

fred said...

(ha! although i'm not sure if these are appendices or endnotes.

when i said goodbye, it was goodbye to, among many many things as it turns out, the site as it was, i.e. no more two mp3's a day, no more page-long ruminations on literature & life, esp. as the only reading i'll be doing soon is of freshmen papers--though perhaps you'd enjoy seeing some of their foibles. i would have felt guilty--the catholic in me--having people stop in here daily hoping for either or both.)